9/24/2009

What is Corpus Delicti?

During my Jurisprudence class, I remember the term corpus delicti used by my teachers. I guessed that it has something to do with a dead body or corpse from the first word corpus. What I don't know is the meaning of the second word delicti.

Corpus delicti (plural: corpora delicti) (Latin: "body of crime") is a term from Western jurisprudence which refers to the principle that it must be proven that a crime has occurred before a person can be convicted of committing the crime. For example, a person cannot be tried for larceny unless it can be proven that property has been stolen. Likewise, in order for a person to be tried for arson it must be proven that a criminal act resulted in the burning of a property. Black's Law Dictionary (6th ed.) defines "corpus delicti" as: "the fact of a crime having been actually committed." Source: wwwen.wikipedia.org,

No comments:

Post a Comment